Please note, this is a special order item.
Ideal for visual observation, as well as short to medium exposure prime focus, eyepiece projection, and afocal imaging astrophotography techniques, the Vixen Optics ED80Sf 80mm f/7.5 APO ED Refractor Telescope is ideal for an amateur astronomer or photographer who is looking for a highly portable, yet capable, kit.
Optically, Vixen outfitted the ED80Sf with extra-low dispersion (ED) glass in a fully multi-coated apochromatic lens system that corrects for both spherical and chromatic aberrations, astigmatism, and off-axis comas. This correction creates a wide flat field of view without distortion and removes the blue-tinted "halo" effect for true high-contrast color transmission. Threads on the drawtube allow direct connection of T-rings and other camera mounts. Complementing the optical performance is a precision Crayford-style focuser that employs a tension control system to eliminate backlash and achieve tack-sharp views, typically not possible with rack-and-pinion styles.
Included with the optical tube assembly (OTA) is a flip-mirror diagonal with dual 1.25" holders. The light path can be directed to the upper holder with the mirror in the up position, and to the rear holder by flipping it down. For visual observation, the mirror can hold two eyepieces to allow easy changes from low to high magnification. When using it for imaging, the camera or imaging system can be used in the back, and an eyepiece can be put on top to check alignment and tracking between exposures.
To provide a solid and secure observational platform, Vixen includes their Porta II manual alt-azimuth mount. Two control knobs, one for each axis, allows users to make small and precise adjustments for tracking subjects. Its two 120-tooth worm gears let the altitude and azimuth travel a full 360° circle. The Porta II operates without locks and clutches, but rather with a friction system. This means you can simply move the mount by hand to quickly find your subject, then use the slow-motion knobs to track.
- 80mm aperture draws in the amount of light needed for lunar and planetary viewing with the ability to see bright deep-sky objects
- Moderate f/7.5 focal ratio makes it a competent astrophotography instrument for fast or moderate exposure times
- 600mm focal length provides a moderate magnification potential while maintaining a compact form factor
- Refractor-style light path delivers clear and sharp images
- Extra-low dispersion glass corrects chromatic aberration across the entire visual spectrum for clearer views and images without halos or fringing
- Apochromatic lens configuration eliminates spherical aberrations that cause distortion at the edges of the field of view, and further corrects chromatic aberration
- Anti-reflection multi-coated optics improve light transmission to produce bright and clear high-contrast images with accurate color fidelity
- Resolution: 1.45 arcsec
- 60mm and 42mm adapter threads accept T-ring and camera mounts for astrophotography and imaging
- Crayford-style focuser uses a tension rod to eliminate backlash while providing the precision focusing that rack-and-pinion styles usually cannot achieve
- Manual alt-azimuth design
- 20-pound payload capacity
- Clutchless friction control system is easy to move by hand and stays where placed
- Dual-axis slow motion control knobs enable precise tracking and centering of objects with reduced vibration
- 120-tooth wheel gears provide 360° movement on each axis
- Vixen-style dovetail saddle is compatible with a wide variety of OTAs
- Two leg sections
- Aluminum legs help to reduce weight
- Adjustable 35.4-51.2" height accommodates a wide variety of users
- Center tray stabilizes tripod while offering a place for accessories such as eyepieces and filters
- 1.25" barrel
- Dual 1.25" holders for the most common-sized eyepieces and accessories
- Enables the use of two eyepieces or a guider eyepiece and imaging system
- Flip mirror down to direct light straight back, or move it up to use upper holder
- 9x power ensures a wide field of view to make finding subjects fast and star-hopping navigation easy
- Large 50mm aperture makes finding alignment and guide stars easy
- Mounting bracket included
- Hard aluminum exterior with reinforced corners protects OTA and accessories
- Custom-cut foam lining
- Hinged carry handle
- Dual snap-lock latches